Thursday, January 14, 2010

Easy Chicken Tacos

This recipe is also from the 150 Best Slow Cooker Recipes cookbook and is made with the Shredded Chicken post that I did on Dec. 18/09. I often make a batch of the Shredded Chicken and then immediately make this recipe, without freezing the chicken, so that the leftovers can all go into the freezer. Those who know me well know that though we typically eat homemade food, I barely ever cook during the week. I always stock the freezer with recipes such as these and just add veggies and/or rice depending on what is necessary on busy work nights.

2 C refried beans, canned or homemade
4 jalapeno peppers, sliced
2 C Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (I used light old cheddar)
1 Shredded Chicken (since I use bone-in breasts instead of what is usually called for in the recipe for Shredded Chicken, I just throw in a decent amount, enough to make maybe 5 meals total for the two of us.)




1. In slow cooker stoneware, combine beans, peppers, cheese and shredded chicken. Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours or on High for 3 to 4 hours, until hot and bubbly.

2. To make tacos, spoon filling into soft tortillas (wheat, or corn for gluten-free). Top with lettuce, tomato, onion, salsa, guacamole and sour cream, etc. Roll up and enjoy.

The recipe says serves 4 to 6, but I always put in lots of chicken. Today it made enough for 6 meals for 2 people in all.

Sadly, our crock pot has seen its last days and we will have to race out and get a new one, as I love using it throughout the winter. It's such a simple way to have a yummy home cooked meal ready at the end of the day with little effort. While making the Shredded Chicken, the broth that had formed leaked through the bottom of the crock pot (even though it's only 2 years old!) and all over our counters, ruining our kitchen counter for good. I guess that's just another excuse to get rid of that ugly white counter that stains so easily!!

No comments: