Saturday, February 27, 2010

Shepherd's Pie

This recipe also comes from my mom. I remember frequently having this as a child and it's still one of those favourite winter comfort foods. You can't freeze the whole recipe, as the potatoes don't freeze well, but you can make the base and freeze that so that you just top it with mashed potatoes and pop it in the oven a meal. I haven't made this recipe in ages, but just made a couple of bases to put in the freezer for when the baby gets here and I have less time to cook.

1/4 C margarine
2 large chopped onions
1 lb. ground beef
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 C consommé soup
2 C mashed potatoes




1. Melt margarine in frying pan. Fry onions and ground beef. Drain fat.

2. Add salt, thyme, pepper and consommé soup and simmer for 15 minutes.

3. Place in casserole dish and top with mashed potatoes. Bake at 350 degrees Farenheit for 1 hour.

I've modified the original recipe somewhat over the years. I leave out the margarine altogether and just cook the beef in a nonstick pan. I also reduce the salt to 1/2 tsp., as we find it a bit too salty otherwise. I've started throwing in a can of corn in between the beef and potato layer. And on my husband's request, I'll often put a bit of shredded cheese on top in the last 10 minutes to let it melt - that's how his grandmother does it... and I hear it every time if I don't put cheese on top!


Freezer friendly: Make and freeze the meat base and then add the potatoes (and corn) just before baking when you are ready to eat it.

2 comments:

Kris said...

This recipe used to be one of my favourites! I haven't been able to find a good replacement for the consomme soup!

Food for Thought Linds said...

We've used the Lipton Onion soup dry mix before. It's not as good, but it could make do for you to make it gluten-free.