Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Cheese Tea Biscuits

I also made these ages ago, back when we went to Carnaval. I had made them to go with soup for dinner with Ashley's husband and brother-in-law only to realize as they were coming out of the oven that neither of them like cheese... but all of the biscuits except for one or two disappeared between the five of us, so I guess they liked them enough.

2 C flour
1 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 C shortening (I used light butter)
1 C shredded cheddar (preferably old)
1/2 tsp. pepper
3/4 C milk




1. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in shortening until crumbly. Add milk all at once with cheddar and pepper and stir with a fork to make a soft, sticky dough.

2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Knead 8-10 times or until smooth. Gently pat out dough into 3/4-inch thick disc. Using a 1 1/2-inch round cookie cutter, cut into biscuits. (I just rolled mine into balls to simplify my life). Place on ungreased baking sheet. Brush tops with milk.

3. Bake in 400 degree Farenheit oven for 17-20 minutes.

Makes 1 dozen.

No comments: