Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Maple-Banana Bread with Flax

Wow... I was just going through the posts that I had saved but never actually sent out. This one dates back to March of 2010. So I figure that it's probably about time to get it on my blog. At this point, I don't have a picture of it, but really, all banana bread just looks the same anyhow!

I don't quite recall where I got this recipe from... seems to me that it's from Women's Health or Shape magazine. It's one of the varieties of banana breads that I'll make from time to time.

1 3/4 C whole-wheat flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 C ground flaxseed, ground or toasted and crushed
1/4 C toasted chopped walnuts or pecans
2 eggs
1 C very ripe bananas, mashed (about 2)
1/2 C maple syrup
3 tbsp. vegetable oil or melted butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla

I threw in a handful of chocolate chips instead of the nuts.

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Farenheit. In a large bowl, stir flour with baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and ginger until well blended. Stir in ground flaxseed (if using whole flaxseeds, toast in a dry skillet over medium-high heat, shaking often, from 3 to 4 minutes. Crush, then stir into flour mixture with nuts). Make a well in the centre.

2. In a mixing bowl, lightly beat eggs, then stir in mashed bananas, syrup, oil and vanilla until blended. Pour into well in flour mixture. Stir just until evenly mixed. Immediately pour batter into prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake in centre of oven for about 50 minutes.

Makes 18 slices.

No comments: