Sunday, April 4, 2010

Greek Potatoes

I think that I randomly found this recipe on the internet awhile back, but have no idea anymore where it originated from. I don't make it often, as there's lots of oil in it and I have healthier recipes for potatoes. But these are delicious and accompany the lamb roast that I made for Easter dinner tonight super well (happy Easter to everyone, in passing!!).

I didn't bother peeling the potatoes, as we like them with the skins on, used way more garlic than the recipe called for and put in the juice of 2 full lemons instead of 1 - 1 1/2 because I love lemons. Ours won't be quite as golden-brown/crispy as they should be, as the lamb had to cook at a lower temperature, so I had to compromise (wouldn't a second stove come in handy some days??). Everything is in the oven cooking as I write this and my mouth is watering from the smell. Though I'll wait to get a picture before actually posting this. I should run and get some veggies on before everything else is ready.

8 large potatoes, peeled, cut into large wedges (about 6-7 wedges per potato)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 C olive oil
1 C water
1 tbsp. oregano
juice of 1 - 1/2 lemons
sea salt
ground pepper




1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Farenheit. Put all of the ingredients into a baking pan large enough to hold them. Season generously with salt and pepper.

2. Bake for 40 minutes. When a nice golden-brown crust has formed on the potatoes, given them a stir to bring the white underside up, season lightly with a bit more sea salt and pepper and just a light sprinkling of oregano. Add 1/2 C more water if pan appears to be getting dry and put back in the oven for another 40 minutes. Don't be afraid of overcooking the potatoes.

No comments: