Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Whole-Wheat Yogurt Biscuits

I usually make these biscuits for breakfast or snacks and love them with peanut butter (what don't I love with peanut butter??). But I made them tonight in a pinch when I realized that dinner was going to be ready in about 10 minutes and I no longer had enough time to make rice. Although they have a bit of honey in them, they're not overly sweet and went well with dinner as well.

1 C whole-wheat flour and 1 C white flour (I use 2 C whole-wheat)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 C butter or margarine
1 C plain nonfat yogurt (thicker style works best)
2 tbsp. honey


1. In a large bowl, stir together the dry ingredients.

2. With the back of a large spoon, blend the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles cornmeal.

3. Add the yogurt and honey, stirring just until moistened. The dough will be very sticky. 



4. On a floured surface with floured hands, pat or roll the dough out to 3/4 inch thickness. Cut with a glass or biscuit cutter. Arrange the biscuits on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. (I find this step to be too time-consuming, particularly given how sticky the dough is. I usually just drop it by large spoonfuls onto the baking sheet).



5. Bake at 425 degrees Farenheit for about 10 minutes. Watch very carefully, as they burn easily.


 
Makes 12 biscuits.

No comments: