Thursday, May 27, 2010

Chocolate Trifle

I got this recipe from Margaret when working in the Alexandria office of the Health Unit years back, as she had brought it to one of our potlucks and it was a big hit. This is the other dessert that I had made when my family was down. It also makes a ton and I don't recommend making it unless you've got a big group of people, otherwise, you'll never get through it all and end up throwing it out. I think that I may have tried to freeze this in the past and that it worked, but I'm not sure. This recipe is perfect for a potluck or bbq, since it makes such a large quantity.

1 chocolate cake mix (I use my recipe for chocolate chunk fudgy brownies but omit the chocolate chips (see May 11/10 posting))
2 chocolate instant puddings (I use fat-free)
4 chocolate bars such as Skor or Crispy Crunch (I typically use crushed Oreo cookies, as my sister, who tends to be around whenever I make this, is allergic to nuts and can't have these chocolate bars)
1 large Cool Whip (I use light)
3 C milk




1. Bake chocolate cake mix in 2 round pans. Let cool. Take 1 layer and crumble into a large glass bowl (preferably a trifle bowl, if you have one - thanks Antonia for ours!).

2. Mix 3 C of milk with 2 instant puddings until thick. Then add 2 crumbled chocolate bars. Mix.

3. Take 1/2 chocolate pudding mixture and pour on top of crumbled cake. Then layer 1/2 of Cool Whip on top of pudding.

4. Repeat, starting with 2nd layer of cake.

5. Top the trifle with the remaining crumbled chocolate bars.

6. Chill until ready to serve. Can be made one day ahead.

No comments: