Monday, May 31, 2010

Rhubarb Cake

Fresh rhubarb is now out in the grocery stores. I love rhubarb and try to make a couple of the good rhubarb recipes that I've come across over the years during rhubarb season. I got this one from Diane in the Alexandria office a few years back. It tastes like a coffee cake. I didn't want to reduce the sugar too much the first time, since rhubarb is quite bitter, so I tried 1 1/4 C and that was fine. You may be able to cut out a bit more than that, which I'll try next time I make it.

1/2 C butter
1 1/2 C sugar (I used 1 1/4 C)
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
2 C flour (I used whole-wheat)
1 tsp. baking soda
a pinch of salt
1 C milk
3 C raw cubed rhubarb
1 tbsp. flour (sprinkle amongst the rhubarb)




1. Mix the above ingredients together. Spread out in a 9 x 13 inch lightly greased pan.

1/2 C (or less) soft butter
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 C brown sugar (I used 1/4 C brown sugar Splenda)

2. Mix these 3 ingredients together and spread over the first mixture.

3. Cook at 350 degrees Farenheit for 30 to 50 minutes.

No comments: