Saturday, July 10, 2010

Pound Cake

This recipe comes from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook that my dad gave to me when I was first in university and just learning to cook. My guess is that he probably doesn't even remember giving it to me!

I made this in a square pan instead of a loaf pan, since it was to be crumbled to put in trifle and I figured that it would cook more quickly in a square pan. I'll post the recipe for the trifle shortly.

1/2 lb. butter (do not use margarine)
1 2/3 C sugar
5 eggs
2 C cake flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla




1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Farenheit. Butter and lightly flour a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.

2. Cream the butter, slowly add the sugar, and beat until light.

3. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating each in well.

4. Stir in the flour, salt and vanilla and combine well. Spoon into the pan and bake for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a rack.

Serve with fresh fruit, ice cream or a sauce.

No comments: