Sunday, January 30, 2011

Zuppa du Jour

Life has been busy and I haven't been cooking as much as usual lately. Well that isn't quite true... I still have been cooking, but I've been relying on tried and true recipes that I make each year, which are mostly almost all already on my blog. Which (amongst my complete lack of time lately) is one reason I haven't been blogging lately. Hopefully, once our renovations are completely done (will I ever see the day??) and my house is once again organized (as if!), I'll have more time to try new recipes again.

In any case... I made this soup last night for our lunches for the next few days. My friend April gave this recipe to me many years ago and I used to make it all of the time, but just got out of the habit of making it. I saw it in my recipe book the other day and had it whipped up in no time tonight. It really only takes a few minutes, so it's great when you're in a pinch for a quick meal.

6 slices bacon, chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 tsp. each marjoram, thyme
1/2 tsp. each oregano, rosemary
2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil or 2 tsp. dried
1/4 C chopped fresh parsley (I just threw in some dried)
1/2 tsp. hot pepper flakes
5 C chicken stock
28 oz. can Italian tomatoes, chopped
2/3 C baby shell pasta (I used whole-wheat macaroni)
14 oz. can artichoke hearts (12-14 count), drained and cut into wedges
salt and pepper to taste
grated parmesan cheese to sprinkle (optional)




1. In a large heavy pot, cook bacon, onions, celery, garlic, herbs and hot pepper flakes, until onions are softened.

2. Stir in stock and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Add pasta. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes or until pasta is just tender (12 minutes for macaroni).

3. Stir in artichokes and season to taste. Serve with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese.

Makes 6 servings.

1 comment:

April said...

This is Nel and Genevieve's absolute favourite! I leave out the parsley and use much more broth than recommended.