Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Caribbean Pepper Pot Soup

This recipe also comes from The 150 Best Slow Cooker Recipes cookbook. I'm slowly working my way through trying all of the soup recipes in it and so far so good. This is another 6am soup... You'll see a theme running through my recipes. Anything with coconut milk and coriander is a go. My favourite :)

1 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 onions, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. minced gingerroot
2 tbsp. chili powder
1/2 to 1 chili pepper, preferably Scotch bonnet, finely chopped
1 tsp. whole coriander seeds (I used ground coriander because I didn't have any whole seeds)
1 tsp. celery seeds (I left this out because I hate celery)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cracked black peppercorns
1 tbsp. packed brown sugar
4 C acorn or butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes, or 4 C carrots, peeled and thinly sliced (I used carrots, only because I HATE peeling squash)
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained or 2 C cooked and drained dried kidney beans
1 can (28oz) tomatoes, including juice, chopped
4 C chicken or vegetable stock
1 can coconut milk (I used light)
finely chopped parsley or cilantro (I, of course, used cilantro)

1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft. Add garlic, gingerroot, chili powder, chili pepper, coriander seeds, celery seeds, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add sugar and stir to combine. Add squash or carrots, kidney beans, tomatoes and stock.

2. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware. Cover and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours or on High for 4 to 5 hours, until vegetables are tender.

3. Add coconut milk. Cover and cook on High for another 15 to 20 minutes, until heated through. Garnish with parsley or cilantro, if using.

Serves 6 (though it gave us several more portions)

No comments: