Thursday, May 19, 2011

Mom's Trifle

This recipe is one that I remember as a kid. My mom used to make this with company over. And I remember how I always thought the layers of cake, jello, whipping cream and fruit looked so delicious and couldn't wait to have some. Until I'd get down to the bottom and taste the sherry-soaked cake and... bleck... I'd remember how awful the adult version was. I didn't like it as a kid and I still don't like it today. So I opt to leave the sherry out. Probably not what most people would prefer (well, most adults, anyway), but I prefer it like that.

This is another great recipe for when you have a crowd over, as it makes immense portions. We just made it for my sister's baby shower. It's quick and easy to throw together, is always a crowd-pleaser and you'll have enough, no matter how many people you have over.

1 red jello
custard or vanilla pudding
1 can of peaches or fruit cocktail
whipping cream (I use light cool-whip)
lady fingers
port or sherry
fresh fruit to decorate

I usually use the lazy-man's instant vanilla pudding. My mom usually uses cooked vanilla pudding. And I guess a really ambitious person would make homemade custard to make it that much more delicious, such as the one in my Strawberry/Blueberry Tart. But then that would just take away the simplicity of this recipe.

I have always used fresh strawberries and blueberries for the fruit. My mom has always used the fruit cocktail. When we made it for my sister's shower, we made it with a bag of frozen mixed berries and I think that's my favourite to date. The extra juice in the berries mixes in nicely with the rest of the ingredients.

I also use pound cake instead of the lady fingers. I find it richer, which makes it just that much more delicious. Haha... I just noticed in getting the link for the pound cake that on July 10/10 I said I'd post the recipe for the trifle shortly. Does within a year mean shortly?? Apparently it does when you have a baby :)




1. Place lady fingers in a bowl and soak in port or sherry for 5 minutes.

2. Drain fruit and save juice to substitute for part of liquid when making jello.

3. Add peaches on top of lady fingers.

4. Make jello and custard and put both in the fridge to cool.

5. When ready, spread jello on fruit, then spread custard on jello.

6. Add whipping cream and garnish with fresh fruit.

Mmmm.... writing this post, I can't wait for strawberry season to begin. I love to pick basket upon basket of strawberries and freeze them for the winter.


No comments: