Sunday, May 1, 2011

Triple B Health Muffins

I made these this weekend and gave Logan his first taste of muffins. And holy flip, he fell head over heels in love with them. He's eaten almost 4 of them all by his lonesome since Saturday morning. I can't quite understand where such a little guy can put so much muffin! He'll take
massive mouthfuls of them at a time and whines for more the second it's gone. He clearly knows the good stuff... Oh well... at least he'll probably have put on some good weight for our pediatrician's appointment this week and then maybe they'll stop making me go so often...

Here's a peek at just how much he enjoyed them (this was his fourth):



I should have taken a picture of my white/not so white anymore kitchen floor after every time he eats these things...

I got this recipe from the Canada's 150 Best Diabetes Desserts cookbook... that I am going to go onto Chapters online to buy as soon as I am done blogging this post. In passing, it's $8 cheaper on-line than it is in-store. And since I have another book I want to buy, which gets me free shipping, I passed on picking it up at Chapters this week while at girls' night.

The recipe calls for either natural wheat bran or oat bran. I used oat bran, primarily because it was way closer in the cupboard than the natural wheat bran and I didn't feel like digging all the way to the back. I'm sure they'd be good with either though.

Totally unrelated to these muffins, but quite related to the topic of my blog, in the background as I type this the tv is on to some French tv game show about food. Not quite sure what it's called... but I'm realizing sadly just how darned much I know about food. And thinking that I need to get myself on this game show to make ourselves a million dollars so that I can quit my job and just hang out with Logan all day :)

In any case, here's the recipe. Enjoy the muffins. If you have a little Logan at home, you might just want to double the recipe so that you don't have to make them again 3 days later.

1 C whole-wheat flour
1 C natural wheat bran or oat bran
1 C fresh or frozen blueberries
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
2 ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 C)
1 egg, lightly beaten (I used 2 egg whites)
1/2 C granulated sugar
1/2 C milk
1/4 C vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla


1. In a medium bowl, combine flour, wheat bran, blueberries, baking soda and baking powder.

2. In a large bowl, combine bananas, egg, sugar, milk, oil and vanilla. Fold in flour mixture until just combined.

3. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups, filling each two-thirds full.

4. Bake in preheated 400 degree Farenheit oven for 20 to 25 minutes.

Makes 12 muffins.

Nutrients per muffin:
153 calories
25g carbohydrates
4g fiber
3g protein
6g fat

2 comments:

Kris said...

My favourite blueberry muffin recipe uses shredded wheat and is on the box for shredded wheat. You should try them sometime. Super yummy.

I see Logan's now getting a taste of wheat ... lucky him. ;)

Food for Thought Linds said...

I'll try those, as Logan also loves shredded wheat...