Saturday, June 4, 2011

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

I made these cookies yesterday morning to take over to Brandi's. I've already mentioned it before, but I'm in love with my new cookbook, Canada's 150 Best Diabetes Desserts.  If you like to bake, but also still like to fit into your pants week after week, I highly recommend that you run out and buy yourself a copy of this. Again, all of the recipes are chock-full of healthy ingredients, such as whole-wheat flour, bran, wheat germ, nuts, flax, etc. and none of them contain a ton of sugar. And every one of them that I've made so far has still been yummy.

The recipe says that it makes 18 cookies. I doubled it and got maybe 27 or so.  And I don't feel like mine were overly large.  Almost all of the 27 of them disappeared yesterday... so I guess that means they're pretty good. I still chuckle at seeing Rylan hiding under the table, where no one could quite see him, eating another one and feeding pieces to Logan :)

6 tbsp. packed brown sugar
1/4 C butter, softened
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 C rolled oats
1/2 raisins
1/4 C whole wheat flour
1/4 C wheat germ
1/2 tsp. baking powder



1.  In a bowl, cream brown sugar with butter.  Beat in egg and vanilla.  In another bowl, stir together oats, raisins, whole-wheat flour, wheat germ and baking powder.  Stir into creamed mixture just until blended.

2.  Drop batter by teaspoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet, leaving 2 inches between cookies.  Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden.  Cool on wire racks.

Makes 18 cookies

Nutrients per 2 cookies:
160 calories
24g carbohydrates
2g fiber
3g protein
6g fat

No comments: