Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Crumb-Top Choco-Peanut Butter Bars

Is there any combination in the world more divine than peanut butter and chocolate? I'd say that anything strawberry-banana runs a close second, but peanut butter and chocolate really can't be beat.

I was scooping out some natural peanut butter from our ginormous Costco package today at lunch and found myself dreaming about peanut butter cookies. Which I probably haven't eaten in about a year and a half, since I didn't eat nuts while breastfeeding Logan. And somehow, the thought of peanut butter cookies didn't cross my mind since I've started eating nuts again until today at lunch. How is that even possible?


And so I found my confronted with a difficult decision. I had the choice of charting my clients while watching Bachelor Pad or making peanut butter cookies.  And as much as I was dying to find out what had happened on  Bachelor Pad this week, I found myself doing what any responsible, self-employed individual confronted with such a dilemma would do: I thumbed through my recipe books to find something deliciously peanut buttery. And I stumbled across this delicious recipe. Which I believe I may have already made before, many moons ago. Well worth giving up watching Bachelor Pad.

This recipe comes from the a little booklet called the Treasury of Holiday Cookies, made by Jif. I don't really consider these to be holiday-related though, but they're still delicious.

1 pkg. (6 oz) semisweet chocolate chips (1 C)
1 C firmly packed brown sugar
2/3 C creamy peanut butter (I used natural pb)
1/2 C butter or margarine, softened
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/4 C flour (I used whole-wheat)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 C quick-cooking oats


1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.  Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan (I used an 8-inch square pan for the whole batch, as I like the squares a bit thicker.  If you make it in a 13x9-inch pan, I'd recommend doubling the chocolate filling, as I don't think there would have been enough to spread nicely over the base).

2.  Place chocolate chips in top of a double boiler or in a medium bowl that fits securely over the medium saucepan.  Heat over boiling water until chocolate melts (water in bottom of double boiler or in saucepan should not touch top pan).  Set aside.

3.  Cream together brown sugar, peanut butter and butter in mixing bowl.  Add egg and vanilla; beat well.

4.  Sift together flour, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture.  Beat just until well mixed.  Stir in oats.

5.  Spread 3/4 of dough in greased baking pan.  Spread with melted chocolate.  Dot chocolate layer with remaining 1/4 of dough.  Bake 25 minutes or until done.  Cut into bars when cool.


2 comments:

Kim Assaly said...

Hey Lindsay
I'm thinking of asking a few friends over in the fall to make fabulous recipes that I can freeze for our fall dinners. Any recommendations for comfort food recipes for the fall?

Kim

Food for Thought Linds said...

Sounds like fun :) In fact, I need to get stocking our freezer for when the baby comes. You can click on the freezer-friendly or Lindsay’s favourites tabs on the left side of my blog for ideas. But some of my favourites for the freezer include Mexican lasagna, south American black bean soup, roasted vegetarian lasagna, creole black beans, mom’s chilli, ground beef stroganoff, mom’s spaghetti sauce (excellent and makes a ton!), chicken coconut curry soup, chicken and rice, easy chicken tacos, chickpeas in curried coconut broth, easy cabbage roll casserole, red lentil and carrot soup and the butter chick peas I just posted, but without the potatoes for the freezer. That should give you lots of choice ;)