Monday, September 26, 2011

Thai Chicken Thighs

This is one of my all time favourite recipes. And yet somehow, it's been maybe close to two years since I've made it. I guess probably because I wasn't eating nuts at all while breastfeeding and then it was summer when I stopped breastfeeding. And I really only use my slow cooker in cooler months. Not that it's quite cool yet, but I started thinking that I'd better make it at least once before I have to stop eating nuts again in a month.

This recipe comes from the Canada's Best Slow Cooker Recipes cookbook, which I quite enjoy, as everything I have made from it so far is quick and tasty.  I whipped this recipe up in less than 5 minutes today and then just threw it together with some short brown rice and carrots. The only ick being that I forgot to change the water I soaked the rice in. Which essentially meant that there was way more water in the rice cooker than there needed to be and dinner took forever and an eternity to be ready tonight... plus the water spilled all over my counter. But dinner was still delicious.

Oddly enough, I've never used the fresh cilantro in this recipe. I say oddly enough because I NEVER omit fresh cilantro from a recipe. Ever. Maybe I first started making this before I really knew what cilantro was??? And sadly, today I realized that my tube of fresh ginger had expired. So for the first time ever, I substituted ground ginger. Not at all the same. I don't recommend it. Don't be lazy like me, and run to the grocery store to grab some if you're all out (you can then get the cilantro while you're there...).  As for the meat, I use boneless thighs, only because I find it a pain to get the meat off of the bones, and that works quite well. And I usually stick in a bit more meat than the recipe calls for. Today I used 1.4 kg, I think. I just use the same amount of sauce and it's always turns out fine. Just gives me that much more to freeze.

8 chicken thighs (about 2 lbs), skin removed
1/2 C chicken stock
1/4 C peanut butter (I used natural pb)
1/4 C soya sauce (I use reduced-sodium)
2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
2 tbsp. lime juice
1 hot chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped or 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tsp. minced fresh ginger root (or 1 tsp. ground ginger)
1/4 C chopped peanuts or cashews
chopped fresh cilantro


1.  Place chicken thighs in slow cooker.  In a bowl combine stock, peanut butter, soya sauce, cilantro, lime juice, chili pepper and ginger.  Mix well and pour sauce over chicken.

2.  Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours, until juices run clear when chicken is pierced with a fork.

3.  Serve garnished with chopped peanuts and additional fresh cilantro.

Serves 4.

No comments: