Saturday, December 31, 2011

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

I'll admit it.  I'm addicted.  To soup that is.  This happens to me every winter. We've been eating turkey soup for lunch every day and a veggie soup with dinner each night.  And now I'm out of soup for lunch.  I just can't do those canned versions. And I don't have quite enough time just yet to make another soup.  Never mind run to the grocery store to get a bunch more veggies.  So I had veggie soup again today with lunch. Addicted, I say.

I made this soup while making the cream of vegetable soup that I posted the other day.  I used the leftover béchamel sauce that I didn't put into the cream of vegetable soup into this soup instead of using cream or milk.  The recipe was originally just for broccoli soup, but cheddar just makes it that much better.  So I just grated some low-fat cheddar into it at the end and cooked until it melted.

1 bunch broccoli
2 tbsp. butter
1/4 C chopped onion
1/4 C chopped celery
1/4 tsp. curry powder
2 C chicken or vegetable stock
1 C 10% cream
1/2 tsp. salt
pinch pepper
grated cheddar cheese 


1.  Separate broccoli into florets; reserve 1/2 C for garnish.  Peel stems and chop coarsely.  Set aside.

2.  In large heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; cook onion, celery and curry powder, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until softened.

3.  Add broccoli florets and stalks and chicken stock; bring to boil.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until broccoli is just tender.
4.  Add in grated cheddar and cook until melted.

4.  Transfer soup, in batches, to food processor or blender; purée until smooth.  Return to saucepan.  Add cream (or béchamel), salt and pepper; bring just to simmer.  Ladle into warmed bowls; float reserved broccoli florets on top.

Makes 4 servings.

No comments: