Saturday, January 21, 2012

Taco Salad

Wonderful day yesterday.  Wonderful!  Just what I needed.  I was supposed to be at a conference on cleft lip and palate, where I had been the day before.  But I'd gotten up at 4 am for a couple of days in a row.  And then on Thursday, I spent 8 hours sitting at a conference with Chloé, plus 3 hours traveling - how does anyone commute daily to downtown by car???  Followed by a visit to the clinic with Logan that evening.  

And I was just plain pooped.

This followed a week of me running to various appointments every day.  I hadn't been in my house for any length of time the entire week.

Pooped.

So I decided to just skip my conference and stay at home to do nothing!!!!  Imagine that... bailing on a conference to do absolutely nothing...

And it was glorious.

I took Logan to daycare and then napped with Chloé.

Then I whipped up a batch of mom's spaghetti sauce.  I also made double batch of whole wheat yogurt biscuits, which Logan started devouring the minute he got home from daycare.  

And then I plopped myself down on the couch to watch The Bachelor.

Did I say glorious??

And once Logan was home we played a bit and then I knit on the couch while he was still playing.  

Glorious!! 

Apparently even Logan understood that this was not a day for whining.

I need days like this more often.  I feel refreshed and rejuvenated.

I quickly whipped up this salad for dinner last night.  It's nothing terribly spectactular and you don't even really need a recipe for it.  But I am oddly addicted to it these days.  Oddly because it was minus 27 degrees with wind chill yesterday and you'd think I'd be craving carrot and coriander soup or South American black bean soup.  But nope.  I find myself craving taco salads.  I had one at the mall the other day and have become obsessed with them.  Though I must admit that it is all that much better with the fried bowl it came in at the mall.  But this hit the spot last night.

I never buy iceberg lettuce ever, but felt that a taco salad on romaine or arugula or something of the like was just plain weird.  So I washed and ripped up some iceberg that I picked up from the grocery store particularly for this.


Threw on a good handful of sliced cherry tomatoes.


Grilled myself up a couple of chicken breasts on our wonderful Cuisinart Griddler.  I then sliced them up and saved the extras for yet another taco salad one day.  You could also use ground beef instead, with my homemade taco seasoning.


Dumped a good spoonful of salsa onto the chicken and a small dollop of low-fat sour cream on top of that.


And then grated some cheese over the whole thing. 


Just wish the grocery store hadn't been out of avocados, or I would have thrown some sliced avocado or homemade guacamole on top of this.

Add in a little Italian salad dressing if you're me, or Ranch if you're Jérôme, and you've got yourself a delicious, quick and healthy supper.  

Difficulty level: easy

No comments: