Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Back to Reality It Is

My blogging of our final moments out West was hijacked the other night when a little one, who is now on the mend, got sick.  We're back home now, but I'll finish off those posts in the next few days, as getting the photos on takes a little more time than I have just now.

Stepping home, I feel like I have been completely swallowed by the chaos of day-to-day life.  Or perhaps by the day-to-day life that has accumulated in my absence... 

Like the never-ending loads of laundry that accumulated during or trip.  Or the lack of food in our fridge.  Or the dust bunnies that have formed Banff-like mountains in our absence.  Or the now-turned pink toilet bowls that welcomed me home. Bah!

I am one of those people who is quick to feel overwhelmed when my house is upside down.

I actually have a very distinct recollection that I had left my house clean and tidy when we departed for Vancouver.  What I learned, however, upon my return, is that I had left it "clean" in terms of post-baby standards.  Not really all that clean/tidy in terms of how I really like it standards.  Toys scattered here and there (though not as bad as prior to us leaving, which is probably why I thought things were cleaned up!).  Suitcases that exploded upon our 7pm return last night so that I could find Logan's snowsuit/mitts, etc. for daycare, toiletries, etc.... with the rest strewn here and there around the suitcase in a mad dash to get everyone to bed. Ugh!


On days like this, I am quick to let other little things that would normally slide right off of me irritate me... such as the car not starting this morning... the mailman giving me heck for not having shoveled my walkway... he knows we were on vacation until yesterday, as our mail was on hold... and knows that we have two little ones... gimme a break!  Like the $45 customs charge for the Swoop bags that were shipped to us from Seattle because when I went to pick them up, they'd forgotten to leave them out for me... Really, none of these things is a big deal.  But because I feel upside down from being away, I let them get to me...

What should I be doing right now???  Unpacking, laundry, groceries, bill paying... What I really want to be doing right now??? Making a chocolate sour cream bundt cake (note to self: must find better way to soothe myself when stressed... these chocolate cravings completely disappeared while on vacation...).  

Also wish there had been a Starbucks on my walk home from Chloé's vaccines at the CLSC.  Betcha a chai latte would do the trick.

Alas, instead, I am going to go fold laundry and plow through the mountain of unpaid bills that has accumulated while we were gone until it is time for Logan's osteo appointment.  While watching episodes of the Bachelor that I missed while away. Now that should do it...  

2 comments:

Karen said...

The Bachelor and a Chai Latte....NOTHING better!!! So glad to hear that you are watching too. Its a freaking train wreck that show and I LOVE it! Those women are nuts! Courtney is a freak but she makes the show!!!

Kate said...

just a quick note to say, that i love that you have become addicted to chai lattes from your trip out west hahaha.. how very appropriate/cliche for a Vancouver/Seattle sojourn, it's hysterical ;) perhaps a starbucks on every corner is the only way we make it through the long wet winter..? :)