Thursday, February 9, 2012

Blackout Brownies

I'm going to keep this short and sweet, as it's been a busy week.  

Just wanted to share my favourite moments of the week, however:

- Logan incessantly telling me "careful", "fall" as I change his bum.  Clearly, if he would not throw a temper tantrum 50% of the time while he's on his change table, he would be at no risk of falling. I'm also clearly not the one who has to be careful, despite his constant reminders to me.  Maybe I should remind him of the time he wiggled his way right off of his change table and into emerg.

- Logan repeatedly screaming "want some" as I came out of the Tim Horton's drive through.  Apparently, the small handful of occasions I have gotten him a plain timbit while I pick myself up a tea has etched a solid memory into that young little brain of his.  Even though the last time he got one was over 2 months ago.  Sadly for him, this was a tea only occasion.

- Logan blinking in fear and covering his face in an attempt to protect himself from the water as we went through the car wash tonight.

Guess Chloé's gotta get older before I have some favourites for her. Though I did really appreciate her sleeping through the night last night and staying adorable quiet during my kinesitherapy session this week :)

I made these brownies couple of weeks back in an attempt to satisfy my temper-tantrum induced chocolate cravings.  Sadly, I overcooked the brownies, so they were not quite as delicious as I believe they otherwise would have been.  This recipe comes from 365 Great Cookies and Brownies.

As a quick aside, I am also super excited to have found this cookbook here while I was searching for a link for the above cookbook.  And doubly excited to see that they have it at my local library. Soooooooooo getting that out of the library the minute we get home from Vancouver.  Need to get back onto the whole homemade yogurt kick again.

Ok, back to the brownies...

1 stick (1/2 C) butter
3 squares unsweetened chocolate
1 C sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 C flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3 squares semisweet chocolate (I used dark chocolate)
1/4 C heavy cream (I used homogenized milk)

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.  Grease an 8-inch square pan and a 6-inch round in centre of a cookie sheet.


2.  In a medium saucepan, melt butter and unsweetened chocolate over low heat, stirring until smooth.  Remove from heat, turn into a medium bowl, and set aside 10 minutes to cool slightly.


3.  With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat sugar, eggs and vanilla into cooled chocolate mixture.  Mix together flour, baking powder, and salt and fold in to make a thick batter.  Remove 1/4 C batter; spread onto greased round on cookie sheet.  Turn remaining batter into prepared pan, leveling surface.


4.  Place both brownie pans in oven.  Bake brownie round 5 to 6 minutes,or until crisp.  Bake pan of brownies 12 to 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Slide brownie round onto a wire rack and let cool completely.  Set square brownie in pan on a rack to cool.


5.  Meanwhile, chop semisweet chocolate.  In a small saucepan, heat chocolate and cream over low heat, stirring until smooth.  Or combine chocolate and cream in a glass measuring cup and microwave on High 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, or until chocolate is melted; stir until smooth.  Pour over baked brownie in square pan.



6.  Break brownie round from cookie sheet into pieces.  Place pieces in a plastic bag and roll to make crumbs.  Sprinkle brownie crumbs over frosted brownie in pan.  Cut into 16 squares and let cool completely. Store in an air-tight container or wrap well and refrigerate.

 

1 comment:

Bill said...

Since we have yet to use our yogurt maker and I wish to, I'll be interested in your related blogs.