Friday, February 10, 2012

Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies

This was my second attempt to soothe myself with some chocolate.  And I LOVE these!!!! In fact, as I type this, Logan is upstairs screaming himself silly in his crib and I am dying to go get one.  Chocolate makes anything more manageable.  And chocolate peanut butter...!!!  However, my footsteps will make him scream even harder, so I will have to content myself with blogging them instead.  I used soy butter in this instead of peanut butter, since I'm not eating nuts.  But I can't wait to try it with peanut butter post-breastfeeding, since it's already so delicious with soy butter!!

This recipe comes from Taste of Home's Prize-Winning Recipes. Which is the same little cookbook where my grandmother got her recipe for the delicious raspberry truffle brownies I've previously posted.  Which were equally delicious.

I doubled the glaze, thinking that 1 oz. of chocolate didn't seem to be much to spread over the entire pan of brownies.  And the two ounces just barely covered the pan, so I'd definitely recommend doubling the glaze.  Or maybe even tripling it, as it was still tough to smooth over the entire surface when doubled.

2 squares (1 oz. each) unsweetened chocolate
1/2 C butter
2 eggs
1 C sugar
1/2 C all-purpose flour

Filling:
1 1/2 C confectioners' sugar
1/2 C creamy peanut butter (I used soy butter)
1/4 C butter, softened
2 to 3 tbsp. half-and-half cream or milk (I used 3.25% milk)

Glaze:
1 square (1 oz.) semisweet baking chocolate
1 tbsp. butter
1.  In a small saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over low heat; set aside.  In a mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar until light and pale-coloured.  



2.  Add flour and melted chocolate; stir well.  Pour into greased 9-inch square baking pan.  Bake at 350 degrees Farenheit for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the centre comes out clean.  Cool.



3.  For filling, beat confectioners' sugar, peanut butter and butter in a mixing bowl.  Stir in cream or milk until mixture reaches desired spreading consistency.  Spread over cooled brownies; cover and chill until firm.




4.  For glaze, melt chocolate and butter in a saucepan, stirring until smooth.  Drizzle over the filling.  Chill before cutting.  Store in refrigerator.


Makes about 5 dozen.

Difficulty level: moderate

No comments: