Friday, March 16, 2012

Sour Cherry Cheesecake

My parents have been up the past few days, visiting with us and the kids.  And what better opportunity to make a cheesecake than when you have visitors down for several days straight. I was convinced that in making this, I would have dessert for their entire stay.  I forgot that my dad was with us...

A shot of his very first slice:


In fact, I believe that this might have even been my slice, which was smaller than my dad's.

Then here's a shot of his next two slices. Yup.  Served at the same time.  At his request.


And when I jokingly asked if he wanted a fourth, he responded yes.  Except he wasn't joking.

True story.  

When he saw this picture he said, laughingly,
"well it looks like a small slice".  Which clearly means
that it wasn't and was just the camera angle ;)

He says this cheesecake has his endorsement.

Needless to say, the cheesecake did not last their entire stay (though it did thankfully last us through a second dinner!).

The recipe comes from 125 Best Cheesecake Recipes.  It's actually a recipe for a fresh strawberry chocolate chip cheesecake.  I've made it before in the past and I think it is my favourite of the few I have tried from this cookbook (though they have all been delicious).  But I realized as I went to make it that I was all out of strawberries.  So I dug through my freezer and a sour cherry cheesecake it became.  My intention had been to put in the chocolate chunks as well, but I was in a rush and decided to skip that so that I wouldn't have to chop the chocolate.  I defrosted the cherries, cut them in half and drained the liquid before using.

I didn't bother decorating the cake because I simply do not have the time these days...

My cheesecake came out slightly overcooked.  And by slightly, I mean that I left it in the oven for an entire 50 minutes after the buzzer had gone.  I got a call from a friend I haven't spoken to in 4 or 5 years, just as the buzzer went off.  Yup Natasha, that was you ;)  But, as my dad said, you couldn't even tell the difference (except from the somewhat crispy look of the top of it!).

Crust:
1 1/4 C chocolate sandwich cookie crumbs (Oreo crumbs)
3 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
 
Filling:
4 packages (250g each) cream cheese, softened
1 C ricotta cheese, drained
3/4 C sour cream
1 1/4 C granulated sugar
4 eggs
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp. vanilla
1 C strawberries, crushed slightly
3 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chunks

Decoration:
2 C strawberries, whole
3 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, melted and cooled

1.  Crust:  In a medium bowl, combine cookie crumbs and butter.  Press into bottom of cheesecake pan and freeze.

 

2.  Filling:  In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, ricotta, sour cream and sugar on medium-high for 3 minutes.  Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.  Mix in flour, lemon juice and vanilla.  Fold in berries and chocolate chunks.  Pour over frozen crust.  Bake at 350 degrees Farenheit for 45 to 55 minutes or until top is light brown.  Cool for 2 hours.  Cover and refrigerate for 6 hours before decorating.

 


3.  Decoration:  Slice stems from strawberries to create a flat bottom.  Dip only the tips of berries in melted chocolate and place flat with tips upward on lined baking pan to dry.  When dried, arrange strawberries, tips up, on top of cake.

Tip:  If the strawberries are not slightly crushed for the batter, you will get large pockets of liquid from the berries in the cheesecake (which is why I cut the cherries in half, just in case).
Serves 10 to 12 (or Bill Baynton and two others for two meals)


Difficulty level: moderate 

If you liked this, you might also like:

1 comment:

wbaynton said...

I have, indeed never made an endorsement previously. I endorse this recipe, and attest that it is totally insensitive to recommended cooking times, having sampled one that was removed from the oven 50 minutes past the time suggested in the recipe.