Saturday, May 12, 2012

Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes

A much lighter post today than yesterday's post ;)

I woke up this morning and decided that I wanted pancakes.  Not the healthy whole-wheat pancakes that I usually make.  But indulgent, fluffy, buttermilk pancakes, like the ones my friends got recently at Cantaloup Café.  In fact, I've been wanting these pancakes since we left Cantaloup Café, almost a full two weeks ago.  But today was the first time I've had a few minutes to make anything other than quick cook oatmeal.

Only problem was that I didn't have any buttermilk.  Thing is, I was motivated enough to eat buttermilk pancakes that I would have made a quick run to the grocery store just for some buttermilk.  Turns out that the recipe I stumbled upon on All Recipes this morning actually used milk and vinegar as a substitute.  

Sweeeeeeeeeet!  

This ensured a bit lazier of a morning à la buttermilk pancakes.  With a delicious side of bacon.  I rarely have bacon in my fridge, but happened to have some left over from a new soup that I made last week and have yet to post.  And what goes better with delicious buttermilk pancakes than a few slices of bacon?



Now, you'd think that all kids would love pancakes, right?  Especially the white-flour, fluffy variety.  Particularly kids who are addicted to muffins and who scream all day long that they want muffins.  Most often when my muffin baking is going through a dry spell, as it currently is.  

But not my little Logan.  


I didn't even put any blueberries or anything into them, to increase the chances that he's actually eat them (maybe I should have put in chocolate chips??).  He scooped up all of the sliced banana on his plate, begged for more, and wouldn't even give the pancake a try.  Even when I added a little bit of maple syrup, just to entice him.  Ah well... all the more for us, right?

3/4 C milk
2 tbsp. white vinegar
1 C all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. white sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
2 tbsp. butter, melted
butter for the pan

1.  Combine milk with vinegar in a medium bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to "sour".


The milk will look slightly lumpy when it has
soured, as you can see in this picture.
It is still fine to use.

2.  Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl.  Whisk egg and butter into "soured" milk.  Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and whisk until lumps are gone (be sure not to over beat).

Butter prior to melting
And beaten eggs
 

3.  Heat a large skillet over medium heat and melt a bit of butter in the pan.  (I usually use a non-stick pan or a bit of cooking spray, but I wanted delicious, restaurant-style crispy pancakes this morning - way more delicious!).


4.  Pour 1/4 cup of batter at a time into the skillet and cook until bubbles appear on the surface.  

You don't need to look at the underside of the pancake to know when to flip.
Just wait until bubbles start to form on the top, like in this picture.
 

5.  Flip with a spatula and cook until brown on the other side.

Oops - got busy with screaming kids and mine ended up a touch too brown.
But delicious all the same.

Makes about 6 or 7 pancakes.

Difficulty level: easy

4 comments:

Kristy said...

you know you can usuallly use milk and vinegar or milk and lemon juice as a substitute for buttermilk

Food for Thought Linds said...

I do know that, but wondered if it doesn't maybe make it slightly less good. And I so desperately wanted them to be incredibly delicious that I was willing to go out to get buttermilk just on the off chance that it would make them better.

Kristy said...

Gotcha. I always do the substitute when I bake!

Food for Thought Linds said...

I usually do too.