Thursday, May 31, 2012

Fondant Bows

I'm feeling much more zen today than I was when I wrote my last post.

We've had a good couple of days.  

Logan has been relatively calm - a Logan state of calm ;)  But really, that's all I'm ever hoping for.  He's a kid, a boy, and he's two.  Our days have certainly not been tantrum or defiance free, but that would clearly be too much for anyone to hope for for any child.  But he has been happier more often than miserable the last few days and has had many fewer meltdowns than usual.  

It's been a good couple of days.

Chloé is also starting to be happy again here and there, which was also much needed.  

finally, a happy monkey
And my improved state of mind is most certainly also related to the fact that Chloé has *finally* started going to sleep with only a few minutes of crying, following almost 3 straight weeks of crying for almost an hour.  Which completely drained me. 

And wonder of all wonders, she started sleeping through the night two nights ago.  With only an 11 p.m. dream feed, she has slept until 6:45 a.m. two days in a row.  And Logan even teamed up with her this morning and also got up at 6:45.  Plus, Chloé napped in her car seat for an hour and a half today (she usually wakes the instant the car stops).  Which gave me a full hour of time to myself.  Utter bliss. 


It's a simple equation: sleeping kids + much less screaming = incredibly more zen mommy

I wanted to share a few of my projects from the past week or so.  

We've been learning different types of fondant bows in my cake class.  I'll perhaps put up a tutorial at some point, but just don't have the time right now.  It's too nice to be inside blogging.  But here are a few pics of my newly acquired skill:



And here's a sneak preview of the bow pieces that we will learn to assemble next week for our gift box cake.  More on that next week.




I've also been busy learning how to finish up the afghan that we've been making in my knitting class.  Gotta admit I'm kinda proud I managed to do this.  I have yet to completely finish it off, but wanted to share it just the same.  I still have to work in the ends and crochet a border around the entire thing.  But I want to double the size it is so that it's nice and big to snuggle in with the kids.  So it will be awhile before I am ready to completely finish it off.  But here's a preview:







Gosh this year long mat leave and the classes at the Women's Centre are a great way to learn some skills that I likely would never have had the time to learn otherwise.

And there ya have it folks.  This is all why there hasn't been much cooking or baking around here of late.

2 comments:

Lyndsay said...

Love the cabled portions of your afghan. Looking good!

Food for Thought Linds said...

Thanks :) Next up, crochet ;)