Thursday, July 19, 2012

Cranberry Brie Salad

This is a great colourful, tasty salad.  Perfect for summer.  It's also super quick to make.  And the port flavoured cranberries and brie even makes it impressive enough for company.  Thanks to Brandi for sharing this recipe with me.

Of course, in my current state of mommy brain, I forgot to put the brie on the salad when I made it for company awhile back.  Even though I had actually gone to the grocery store to get some brie.  Some days I wonder if I will ever have a memory again...

For the dressing, I used a brand of pesto that has no pine nuts that I picked up at Metro, since I'm avoiding nuts these days.

1/2 C dried cranberries
1/4 C port wine

Put into a bowl and let stand for one hour, stirring occasionally.  Drain.  Discard port.


4 oz. chopped brie cheese
1 Boston lettuce (torn)
2/3 C croutons

Toss together in a large bowl with cranberries


Cranberry dressing:
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. cranberry cocktail (or orange juice)
1 tbsp. basil pesto
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar

Put all in a jar and shake.

Just before serving, pour dressing over salad.



Difficulty level: easy 

Gluten-free if you omit the croutons or use gf croutons
Dairy-free if you omit the brie, as I accidentally did 

2 comments:

Camille said...

I want some...

Amanda said...

Original recipe can be found in Company's Coming Garden Greens.