Monday, January 21, 2013

Mom's Lasagna

Back almost a year ago when I wrote this post on my childhood faves, I was surprised to realize that I had yet to blog my mom's fantastic recipe for lasagna.  Her lasagna is absolutely fantastic.  Yes, I love all of her other delicious recipes that I included in my childhood faves.  But her lasagna is really something special.  One of the best I've ever had.  

But I could be biased.  

After all, it is my mom's recipe. 

However... 

This is a little complicated, but... my sister's boyfriend's sister (you still following me?) said that this is the best lasagna she's ever tried.  I wish I could tell you she is Italian, but she's UkrainianBut it's gotta still count for something, no?

All that to say that I think you should make this if you like lasagna. 


I still really love my roasted vegetarian lasagna too.  But sometimes, you just need a traditional beef lasagna.

I made this back when we were gluten, but not dairy free yet (I know!!!!  My blogging delay is a bit ridiculous these days!).  I now make a dairy-free version, using this butternut cashew "cheese" sauce from Oh She Glows instead of the cottage cheese mixture and Daiya instead of the cheese.  I can't say that it's as delicious as my mom's version, but I consider it to be not too bad, given that it's both gluten and dairy-free.
 
This recipe freezes well and is great to pull out as a quick defrosted meal, accompanied by a salad, such as this to-die-for ceasar salad or this wonderful cranberry avocado salad.
 
8-10 lasagna noodles
2 tbsp. canola oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 lb. ground beef
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tbsp. parsley
1/2 tsp. basil or rosemary
2 6oz. cans of tomato paste
1 1/2 C hot water
2 eggs, beaten
1 pint cottage cheese (small container)
1/2 lb. grated mozzarella cheese
1/4 C grated parmesan cheese

1.  Heat oil in a skillet.  Cook garlic and onion until soft.  Add beef and seasoning and cook until crumbly.  Add tomato paste and water and cook 10-15 minutes on low. 







2.  In a separate bowl, blend beaten eggs with cottage cheese.   

 

 3.  Cook noodles according to package directions.


4.  In a large dish, spoon a thin layer of meat sauce, 1/2 of the noodles, all of the cottage cheese mixture and 1/2 of the grated mozzarella.  Repeat with remaining sauce, noodles and mozzarella.  Sprinkle with parmesan.








5.  Bake at 350 degrees Farenheit for approximately one hour.

 

Difficulty level:  moderate 

For a gluten-free version, use rice noodles.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

It's the best with homemade pasta and fresh mozzarella.... oh, wishing I could make this!

Food for Thought Linds said...

yes, good point indeed. That's actually the way I used to make it pre-kids. With homemade spelt pasta even! How can I have forgotten that already??

Ashley said...

Hahahaha! I was just going to write that I wonder if it would be better with homemade gf pasta... if we had the time to try it...

Unknown said...

It's true, The BEST Lasagna is Mom Baked Lasagna. If you baked Classic Italian Lasagna in Essence Chambery Cast Iron 11.8-Inch Orange Lasagna Pan which is the best lasgna pan fromhttps://bestlasagnapan.com/. would you like to check out. Which one am I using for it.